What a relief to get Joel's casts off on Wednesday! The longer the casts were on, the harder things got! Joel's sleep was
horrible, and his demands seemed on the rise throughout the day. I also realized I still had some fear to deal with after our first cast experience. There were many moments throughout the night when Marvin and I were once again attending to Joel's needs when we asked each other if everything was truly all right (which thankfully it was). All that to say, I am so thankful that we only had to wait 2 weeks this time, and humbly remembering that God is still sovereign over Joel's hands and loves him more than I.
We celebrated and clapped throughout the week at home when we talked about the casts coming off, and Hailey and Michayla did not want to miss out this time on the moment of reveal. Michayla was delighted and excited at the thought of her little brother having fingers! So the two of them, Joel, and I readied ourselves on Wednesday morning, and after a quick celebration/lunch stop at Marvin's work, we headed to Medical City to Dr. Fearon's office.
Of course, Joel hates these kind of appointments. Anyone messing with his hands and/or feet is never a happy thing for him. So, after crying and lots of "Biper" videos, we said good bye to Dr. Fearon and his sweet staff. Hailey and Michayla did great during the office visit! Hailey had to hold back tears and fear when the last gauze came off, and Michayla sat politely in her lap talking to Dr. Fearon's nurse, Cindy, while trying to remind Joel that the casts were finally going to be gone. We proceeded to the hospital play area to cheer up Joel's spirits and celebrate some more. He has been very excited to show off his new fingers.
We are on to dressing changes 2-3 times a day at home now. Joel, of course, very much dislikes the changes, but they are necessary to his healing. His fingers and toes are still sore and sensitive when bumped. He is not holding or picking things up yet, but he is slowly touching more and more things and enjoying very much his mobility again. Giving him real baths again has been really good-the sponge baths just weren't cutting it, and he was sweating and sweating with the casts on (which, of course, resulted in a very stinky boy)! Also, we are thankful that his sleep is slowly getting better!
We are tired and (the kids and I), at moments, cranky after the past few weeks! I have been reminded the last few days of one of the purposes in all of this-God using these circumstances to work on my character flaws. As I have at moments complained of the exhaustion, I am humbled to see how much farther I have to go in laying down my life with Christ. His ultimate example of humble servant-hood as the King of kings and Lord and lords reminds me that he laid down his life and much more than I could ever lay down. I am humbled when I see the two precious children He has entrusted into my care for such a time as this and know that teaching them to have the right attitudes amidst the difficulties of life and positive perspectives starts with the example I give them in my own attitudes and perspective. I am thankful that His mercies are new every morning and that I can trust that He is not finished with me or them yet!
We again are thankful for those who have continued to uphold us in prayer and continue to encourage our spirits and help us in a variety of ways. As we look at the end of this first surgical stage and towards the future, we anticipate a good break from Dr. Fearon's office! He doesn't want to see Joel until March of 2017 as long as all is well! We will continue to monitor Joel this year by having another routine sleep study and MRI of his brain done this summer, as well as see a few other specialists to keep taking care of Joel's eyes and ears, among other possible things. We anticipate the break from surgery to last for a good many years though and are so thankful for the excellent health Joel has enjoyed thus far! Praise the Lord!
"May the glory of the LORD continue forever! The LORD takes pleasure in all he has made!" Psalm 104:31
Yay!!! Praise the Lord for this new stage in Joel's life! You are all such troopers! And what a beautiful perspective you have dear - God can use any circumstance in our life to work on our character. Can't wait to see you all and shower Joel with hugs and kisses!
ReplyDeletePraise God for the great outcomes!!
ReplyDelete