A few days later, the kids and I were reading in Mark 3. This is the second time we've encountered this story this past year, and I have to admit, it just grips my heart every time. I'll never look at it quite the same now that Joel is in my life. See for yourself:
Jesus went into the synagogue again and noticed a man with a deformed hand. Since it was the Sabbath, Jesus' enemies watched him closely. If he healed the man's hand, they planned to accuse him of working on the Sabbath. Jesus said to the man with the deformed hand, "Come and stand in front of everyone." Then he turned to his critics and asked, "Does the law permit good deeds on the Sabbath, or is it a day for doing evil? Is this a day to save life or to destroy it?" But they wouldn't answer him. He looked around at them angrily and was deeply saddened by their hard hearts. Then he said to the man, "Hold out your hand." So the man held out his hand, and it was restored!
The year I was pregnant with Joel, I struggled a lot with identifying with God as my loving Father. I often felt that He wanted to use the hard things in life to teach me a lesson, and sometimes I buried my hope beneath pessimism and what I thought was "realistic" to keep from feeling disappointment. I remember clearly having some spiritual breakthroughs that year as I learned to trust in His love and compassion for me in a way that I never had. Then Joel was born, and I felt God's love and purpose through Joel in a way I'll never explain.
Two nights ago, Joel went through another routine sleep study, so him and I spent the night at the hospital. He slept pretty good, all things considered, except for waking up abruptly and unpleasantly in the middle of the night when his sleep technician needed to change out a little tube he had sticking in Joel's nostrils. I had lay down beside Joel and had my arm around his little body, and he hugged me as tight as he possibly could and kept pointing at his nose, crying, and saying mama after the technician left the room. When he would quiet back down, his arm wrapped around me so tightly, I was amazed at his trust in his mommy. He knew I loved him, even though I was allowing him to go through this, and I know he didn't understand why. I thanked God for the gift of having this little person in my arms. I am amazed by the trust Joel shows even in his discomfort.
So, back to Jesus and the man with the deformed hand. The first time after Joel's trauma with his pinkie (which can be read about here) that I remember reading this story, I wished that God hadn't allowed Joel's left pinkie to be so deformed. His hands were already deformed as it was, and his surgery to begin the process of restoring his hand, didn't result in the expected outcome! I was amazed that a man that had a deformed hand, just like Joel, had experienced the healing and compassion of Jesus himself when he was here on earth, and I wondered in my heart what Joel's healing would look like.
I've always known since the day Joel came into this world that his life is for God's glory. In fact, He created all of us for His glory. But we came into a broken world. We have most definitely, just like the man in Mark, been touched so deeply-every single part of us-by the effects of sin. We, along with creation, long to be healed for good, and God, in His love story to us, the Bible, shows us how-from the very moment Adam and Eve sinned-He planned to save us, heal us, rescue us, through Jesus. He continues showing incredible love and mercy in waiting that more can repent and come to Him before Jesus returns for His bride, the church, and judgment day arrives. We see glimpses of the glory of God through testimonies like this of the man from Mark. We see glimpses of His glory when a heart has turned from sin and miraculously been changed by God. And we also see glimpses of His glory when one of His children shows an unleashed and free heart, facing great difficulties in His name and understanding that the rewards of following Him are greater than any struggle we could ever face here. I can't even begin to imagine what the full glory of God on display will be like in Heaven!
I'm not sure what Joel's eventual healing will look like, but at this point, I have no doubt that my own healing is wrapped up in his. So, like I mentioned before, His love and purpose slowly starts to unfold in my life. The intriguing thing is that God's glory truly is displayed through healing! His creation, restored and healed to be able to rejoice in His works, love and worship Him as our God in the way we were created to do, brings Him glory! We will see that glory on full display one day! I'm going to end with this verse from Psalm 104:31: "May the glory of the Lord endure forever; may the Lord rejoice in His works." I know that as we learn to trust His goodness and love for us more and as we grow in selfless adoration of Him as King and Creator of this universe, we will see His glory displayed in more and more amazing ways!
Powerful testimony, Sharon. Praise God!
ReplyDeleteThe Lord is lifted high and His goodness is exalted in this testimony. Whether we eat, or drink, or struggle in our parenting, let us do it all for the glory of God!
ReplyDeleteThis is beautifully written and speaks so clearly to me. I've been thinking a lot lately about how God gently breaks us (our outer man) in order to unleash our inner man. I've also been crying out to Him for healing in different areas and learning to trust Him through it and keep my eyes fixed on Him. I love the picture of Joel holding onto you tightly at the hospital, not understanding but trusting you. So beautiful.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete