Monday, November 5, 2018

Our Special Birthday Boy!



Has it really been over a year since I've shared about life with Levi Joel? I guess that means that I have been busy living life, changing diapers, reading children's books, building relationships, making food...you get the picture! In the midst of the daily craziness, I haven't had the inspiration and energy to gather my thoughts about this boy that I love so fiercely-or if I did, the gathering looked more like a big, messy pile of fall leaves than a mother duck gathering her ducklings into a perfect row!

But this past month I have been contemplating Joel's life and his birthday once again, and remembering that yes, it is time to give an update to our family and friends and especially to the many people out there who have told me this year that they continue to faithfully pray for him! If you are one of those people, please know that your prayers have touched, encouraged, and sustained us and him these past years!

Making the cycle again to Joel's birthday, like the past three years, I can't help but feel overwhelmed by emotion when I remember the story of his birth, the overwhelming presence and grace of God with us, the progress Joel has made, and the great joy he brings to all around him. I can't help but remember those moments that marked and changed our lives forever. I remember my sister, Natalie, saying to us when she met him, "Mom was right. Joel is the comfort." It was so hard for our family to be far away in the first moments after his birth, but the moment they saw him, held him, knew him, they were comforted beyond measure. His life and person continue to bring us so much joy and comfort. His contagious smile lights up a room. Four years ago today, we really didn't know what to expect, and we still don't! We know, though, that our Precioso Joelito is a gift from God! He is an individual person with so much uniqueness and preciousness. We are so thankful to be able to call him "ours".

This week he has asked me constantly, "Tomorrow will I be four? Tomorrow is it my birthday?" What a relief to be able to finally be able to tell him, "Yes!" This boy has been seriously excited about this day for the whole past year, planning the theme and gradually adding to his list of wishes. One of his biggest wishes was to celebrate and have a basketball piñata (which he specifically wanted his DAD to make him) with his church friends. So yesterday, after the service, his wish came true! We had cake(thanks Marisa!) and a home-made piñata for him and his amiguitos. His smile said it all!






Looking back at my posts from a year ago, I am amazed at the developmental leap this little overcomer has made! He rides a bike, jumps up and down, loves to race his sister (although he always thinks that he's the winner), pretends to do somersaults and many other "tricks", as well as enjoys playgrounds and climbing like any other kid. He speaks Spanish and English and cracks us up with his hilarious sense of humor. He is VERY social and asks me every single day if tomorrow we are going to church (his favorite place to be). He loves to be in the loop and know exactly what the plan is.

We are beyond thankful to see evidence of the Holy Spirit at work in his little heart this past month as well. I have seen a softening of his heart, and a first-time genuine interest in Jesus and His Kingdom. This past month he told me adamantly, "Mommy, I want to pray right now!" when I shared the gospel once again with him and explained the only way to be with God one day. This was in response to him asking if he would go to heaven and be with Him when he dies. So we did pray right then and there, asking God to forgive him of his sins, and asking Jesus to save him and be his King. My biggest prayer for this boy is that his life would be characterized by surrender to God, and I am beyond overjoyed to see glimpses into his heart in this area.

I will never stop telling the story of when I got home from the hospital, right after he was born. We had just named him Levi Joel (we had to make a final quick decision at the hospital when he surprised us by arriving a month earlier than expected and with a diagnosis we had not expected!). I knew that I had loved the meaning of Levi, but couldn't remember what it was. So I looked it up and was shocked to see "Joined together; attached" pop up on my computer screen. I knew that Joel meant "Yahweh is God; He that wills or commands".  This is Joel's story. God knew and allowed him to be born with his fingers, toes, and skull bones, fused together. Yet God has the ultimate word, and He will receive the glory in all of this. I believe with all my heart that Joel will be fully healed and whole-the completion of this life-long process coming to pass in eternity. I believe with all of my heart in His Fatherly love. For the time-being, these last 2 years have been quite normal in the sense that Joel has had no surgeries or major medical intervention. Nothing has changed as far as his care. We know the future will bring hard times again, but for now, we are enjoying the small moments in day-to-day living and getting to see him enjoy life like a typical just-turned-four-year-old.

Thank you to the many people who love Joel so much and enrich his life in so many ways! Below are some pictures of this past year. Happy Birthday my Precioso!

























No comments:

Post a Comment